“To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting.” – Edmund Burke
The first book club meeting was on Tuesday night and it was an absolute success! There are no words to describe the atmosphere of the being surrounded by empowered and driven women. It definitely brings out the best in you, all while challenging you to think outside of the box.
We started the discussion for amBITCHous by Dr. Debra Condren – which after the book was selected as the read and going through the two chapters I was on board. Our discussion heavily focused on the third chapter of this book which encompassed quite a few stories of women and their ambition, which made me want to put the book down. I won’t go much further into it (in case we have others who want to read it), but I can honestly tell you that I was a little shook up from this chapter alone.
I struggled to move on in the book.
I’m glad I did and even more proud that I was afforded an opportunity in open dialogue to put it all out there. My opinions were rejected and at times, they were praised. Often, we all could look at each other and nod in agreement that we are AMBITIOUS, not AMBITCHOUS. It was an magical –
What I can tell you is….
- this book will make you question ambition and how you view it
- you must go into with an open mind
- it’s great to have others to bounce your thoughts off of
- keep a journal, as suggested in the book – I am glad I went with a separate one from my regular thoughts
- don’t be afraid to put the book down and revisit it when you are in a better state of mind
I am looking forward to our next book club meeting (it’s a Google hangout, so I’ll be in my PJs)!
Happy Thursday people!